Pages

Monday, October 23, 2017

Why I Count Calories

Hi, Weight loss is a funny thing to blog about, you're so in danger of offending or giving bad advice. I debated writing this post but decided to write it from more of a personal prospective rather than self help. Just remember that everyone is different and what I personally find beneficial for myself may not be right for you.


Why I Count Calories


Why I Started Counting Calories
Simply I like to snack a lot and I'm not active at all, this combination means calories can quickly add up. I'd got to my heaviest of 9 stone 6 pounds which on my petite frame is heavy. I'd noticed all my favourite clothes being a lot tighter and was making a conscious decision to wear baggier clothing. My doctor even commented that I'd put on weight during my last visit.

My Weight Loss Goal and Progress
I figured this post is pointless without me sharing my personal experience of calorie counting. I've been counting calories daily since the start of July which is now about four months (I thought it was longer). In that time I've managed to lose a stone and I'm feeling so much happier about how I look and feel. My rate of weight loss works out at about a pound per week, the loss was totally down to what I've been eating as I've made no change to my activity levels.

How I Track My Calories
I use the MyFitnessPal app to count my calories. You set a target weight and a rate in which you want to lose the weight. I don't think it's the most scientific on calculating your daily goal but it's also based on your activity level. Once you've set everything up you then simply follow the target calories. You log your daily intake by scanning barcodes and looking up ingredients, it's really simple.

Why I Think It's A Positive Thing To Try
I know a lot of people are against calorie counting because of the idea of under eating and it's a valid point. I think it's only an issue though if your not learning to eat the right foods that are both filling, healthy and low calorie. You might loss weight if you stick to your goal and only eat junk food but you're going to be hungry and your body will lack the nutrients it needs. It's all about educating yourself about portion control and reassessing your diet long term.

What Have I Learnt
  • Calorie counting doesn't mean restricting, it's about healthy swaps and planning ahead.
  • Going over your target calories doesn't matter in the long run.
  • It's not a quick fix, it's an educational process and a lifestyle choice/change.
  • A kitchen scale and other measuring devises will become your best friends.
  • You can still socialize and enjoy restaurant food.
  • I like eating calories more than I enjoy drinking them (so much less alcohol).
  • I'm so much more interested in cooking and trying new things.

I think there's a lot more I could say about calorie counting but I don't want to ramble. I've found it a helpful and positive experience and while I'm now going to increase my calorie intake to sustain my weight rather than lose it I'll continue to track my calories so I don't over indulge too often.

Please let me know what you think about calorie counting?
Sam

Want to see more posts follow on

No comments:

Post a Comment