Friday, September 11, 2015

8 Ways To Do More Reading


Hi, Happy Friday! Like myself you might be planning on enjoying a book this weekend, I love reading but I find it a real struggle to find the time. I have been using some helpful tips to make the most of my time to get in as much reading as possible. They really work as I've already read three books this month (two where only little but still). I'd really like to push myself and see how many books I can fit in by the end of the year. I'm currently reading One Day by David Nicholls.

Ways to do More Reading

Find the Format That Works For You
I prefer paper backs because I'm a tactile person and get a thrill from shutting a finished book but you might prefer to use an E-Reader for example, especially if it's a chunky book like game of thrones.

Use All Available Time
I am really bad for not making the most of my time and procrastinating at just about anything, including been bored. So I decided why not put this time to use and pick up a book, rather than letting time pass me by. If you wake up a little bit early read, waiting for your tea to cook read or got a lunch break that you spend watching the clock do some reading. I used to do most of my reading while commuting on public transport, sadly I do a lot of driving now.

Switch off Social Media
As much as I love to look at social media I try to not let it control how I spend all of my free time. Switch off from social media platforms and you'll find you have a lot more spare time throughout the day. This is a good one to follow for traveling, take a book with you to read and leave your phone alone.

Set an Amount of Time for Reading
If you have the spare time, give yourself an allotted amount of time to read each day. I tent to read just before bed or make a point of giving myself some time by reading in the bath.

Set Goals
I often set myself mini goals when I start reading a book. I like to tell myself to read at least one chapter a night, even if it's slow progress, it's still progress. Don't be too strict about it and only set achievable goals.

Try a New Genre
It might just be that you're not connecting with the book you're trying to read. Trying a different genre can open up new reading experiences and you could find a new favourite author.

Read a Book That is Now a Film/TV Show
If you find it hard to connect to characters why not read the book of a film you've enjoyed. It makes understanding the story easier and you might find out some interesting parts which were left out/changed.

Join a Book Club
Last month I took part in the #Sassybooks book club, being part of a book club is great motivation to read a book within a set time frame. If you would like to take part in the book club this month we are reading 'The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories' by Marina Keegan.

Good luck, let me know what you are reading I'm always looking for recommendations.
Sam

Want to see more posts follow on 

24 comments:

  1. Switching off social media is a MUST for when I fancy reading otherwise I'm forever distracted. I also prefer actual books but e-readers can be handy when travelling, which is when i tend to read the most. Great post xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I perfer books to an e-reader until I've finished and then I have an ever growing pile of books that I don't know what to do with. I can seriously see the uses of an e-reader. Reading when traveling is such a great way to pass the time. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  2. These are great tips! I do read quite a lot, but most of my reading is done during my lunch break. All of my colleagues have learned not to disturb me when my head is in a book; especially when I'm close to the end! So yes, a dedicated time slot for reading is essential, for me. I do find that I struggle to read at home though - there are so many other distractions around me (not to mention a book chewing puppy!)
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm sure book chewing puppies look really cute though. If I didn't set myself a time to get some reading in I'd do very little reading, so it really helps. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  3. I always try and read before I go to sleep, because it is more relaxing than looking at a screen, it helps me sleep better! You definitely have to switch off social media though, it's so distracting! x

    Bethan Likes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckly for me the wifi doesn't work in my room (and I don't use my data if possible). Reading before I sleep helps me relax and sleep so much better. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  4. These are all great tips I need to remember! I love reading but only seem to find the time to do so when I'm on holiday. I need to start allocating reading time when I go to bed instead of scrolling through social media :) x
    Charlotte's Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get so much reading done on holiday one of the perk of free time. Reading before I go to sleep helps me relax so I fall asleep faster, not always good when trying to finish a book but whose to say no to extra sleep. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  5. Loved this post, you've inspired me to sort out my time a bit better & get reading again, I miss it. I agree that book clubs are amazing for giving you the motivation, and paperbacks are for sure the best :) x

    J'adore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped reading as much when I finished education and started full time work, I miss spending 2 hours a day commuting because I've lost so much reading time! Book clubs make you try new things too I've read some books I'd never have picked up otherwise and really enjoyed them. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  6. Book clubs are so fantastic! My school organized one last year, and I love talking about my favorite books with the girls in it. :)
    ~ Sanjana
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the best part seeing what everyone's opinion of the book is. Last months #Sassybooks pick got quite a mixed review, I personally really enjoyed it. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  7. Such good ideas :) I've always wanted to join a book club! It's so important to turn off social media because I get so easily distracted! I do like updating my Goodreads status though haha! Angelica x

    http://cosybookcorner.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joining Goodreads is probably a great motivational tool anyway! Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  8. I really need to get back to reading regularly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! I missed reading so much, it's such a rewarding hobby. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  9. Wow! This is such a great post! I really, really need to get back on my reading since I had to stop due to exams! This is incredible helpful! Thank you so much! <3

    xx Bash | Hey Bash | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad it was helpful. =^-^=

      Delete
  10. Great points! I love reading so much, but I'm terrible at making time for it. I definitely need to switch off from social media more, in particular!

    Helen xx
    Hels Yeah | Fashion & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Social media is such a time zapper. I only wish there where more hours in the day and then we wouldn't have to pick one or the other. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  11. I find the easiest way to encourage people to read books is definitely asking them to read a book that's one of their favourite movies, ie YA contemporaries like John Green, Suzanne Collins, etc. This is a wonderful post!

    May | THE MAYDEN | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have friends that I've got reading using this tip. I think it's also a great way to find new books to read. I read the Hunger Games after watching the first film totally not knowing it was a book trilogy (Doh!). Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  12. i definitely struggle to read as much as i'd like to, these are good tips!

    danielle | avec danielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm finding the more I read the faster I can read, which is a nice bonus. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete