Friday, September 25, 2015

September Reading Roundup | Book Reviews

Hi, With the weather changing and the nights drawing in a lot earlier I tend to get more reading done. I'm a little in shock at just how many books I've managed to fit I'm this month but then I feel this month hasn't gone as fast as normal and there's still a bit to go yet. I did have my little holiday which gave me some spare time to get some reading done. I'm also reviewing 'The opposite of Loneliness' for #sassybooks, my review will be up on Tuesday.

The Rivers of London
Author - Ben Aaronovitch
Page Count - 432
First Published - 2011
 
The story is told from the perspective of Peter a probationary constable who is about to get promoted to do the worst job in the department while his female college is climbing the ranks with much more interesting roles. All of this changes when detective Nightingale recruited him to be his apprentice. Peter is then introduced to the idea of been a new age wizard of sorts. Basically the supernatural we are lead to believe is stuff of folk law and stories is actually real and they works at keeping everything under wraps from the general public.

This is the first story in a series of many books set in London. This particular story is based around the rivers of London and their physical embodiment's, meaning that every river has a human form. There's a dispute about who owns which river that needs to be resolved, which runs parallel to the main story about a killer who isn't human. I enjoyed this book, not one of my favorites and I'm not sure I'll be rushing to read the others but it has a well thought out story. I liked the concept of magic and reality clashing in a modern setting but it didn't blow me away.

Looking for Alaska
Author - John Green
Page Count - 272
First Published - 2011
 
I wanted to read paper towns with it been released as a film but the library didn't have it so I settled with this book instead (wanting to read more John Green, the 'Fault in our star' film was so good). The book is written from the perspective of Miles a boy with a fascination for last words, who prior to going to Culver Creek was not the most social of people. He meets Alaska, Chip and Takumi and suddenly he has a social life.

The story is based on the antics and general life of students in a dorm situation, including pranks and a lot of underage drinking. Alaska is the focus for the story, with a mixture of teenage longing and underlying mental health issues. I enjoyed this story but felt it lost it's way a little when Alaska is the center of tragedy leaving the guys to blame themselves and try to work out what happened, without really getting anywhere. It's what I expected from a story of the young adult genre, with all the sexual tension and social unease.

The Company of Ghosts
Author - Berlie Doherty
Page Count - 272
First Published - 2013
 
This was a random pick from the library, I wanted a smaller book so that I knew I could finish it. The story starts with Ellie attempting to run away from home. She is taking the brake up of her parents badly, her father relocated to the other side of the UK and her mother has remarried. Ellie attempts to run away from home only to bump into Morag, a girl from her music class. This is the catalysis for the story that then takes Ellie to a lonely island after an invite to go on holiday with morag's family. After a sequence of unfortunate events Ellie finds herself alone on the island and things start to get weird, the title is a good hint for what happens.

The idea of been left on a island on your own is quite a scary one. I'm not really sure how much I liked this book, it wasn't badly written or anything like that, just the ghost wasn't that good. I'm sure ghosts can't touch people so that kind of spoilt it. The underlying story of the ghost girl was rather moving and I wanted her to be helped so she could finally have peace.

One Day
Author - David Nicholls
Page Count - 448
First Published - 2010

I've been meaning to read this for ages due to wanting to watch the film but wanting to read the book before hand. I finally bought it for a mere £3 and really enjoyed it. The book is about two character Dexter and Emma, both just graduating from Edinburgh university in 1988. The story follows them through the next twenty years of their lives with all the ups and downs you could expect. I love how cleverly written this book is rejoining the pair on the 15th of July every year, that been the date of their first real connection.

This book makes you think of the what ifs and shows how much your life can change over a period of many years. There where times when both characters excelled each other both professionally and romantically. If I take anything away from this book it would be to not give up on your dreams and that life is short. This was my favourite book of the month and I can't wait to watch the film and see how it compares.

Well that's a crazy amount of books and well done if you read all of the reviews! Have you got any recommendations for next month?
Sam

Want to see more posts follow on 
 

7 comments:

  1. I think the book that sounds most interesting to me is also "One Day". This just seems to be the kind of genre that I enjoy a lot :) Maybe I should give it a go. I haven't really got into reading this month, so I hope October will be better!
    Patti www.shiftingtales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patti, I would really recommend 'one day' I've been wanting to read it for so long and it really didn't disappoint. The chapters are quite long but I enjoyed reading this so much I didn't mind. Good luck on getting more reading done, let me know if you read something good. =^-^=

      Delete
  2. Lovely books! I still need to read One Day. That one has been on my list for SO long.
    WritingMonique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's well worth a read, I really enjoyed it. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  3. You really can't go wrong with John Green can you, he's fab! And I enjoyed one day too but did find it a little bit slow! I think I preferred the film, which is rare for me! xx

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see which other John Green books I can pick up from the library. It's always a tricky one with films because you know they will leave out interesting bits of information. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  4. "Looking for Alaska" is such a great book. :)
    I enjoyed reading your reviews. ♥

    http://ohlovelytragedy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete