Wednesday, September 9, 2015

A Catch Up | A Week in Filey

Hi, I'm back! Last week I was enjoying some time off work in a static caravan in Filey. Me and the fella had a lovely time living off takeaways, indulging in our pool addiction, playing on the slot machines and generally indulging in all things coastal. We had a day trip to Scarborough where we got stuck in the rain just before heading back, but a lovely day of ice creams and sight seeing was had.



- Bovril & Hot Chocolate - Fossil Finds - Cockles - Crab Friend -

I was brought up on family caravan holidays and didn't go abroad until the age of about 13 on a school trip. Having a touring caravan means there aren't that many places in Britain I haven't been (but I haven't been to Scotland nearly enough). I know that no matter what there is one place that I will forever return to and that is Filey. I feel like it's my home from home, I know all the short cuts and feel totally at ease in this little coastal town. I have so many happy memories rooted all the way through my childhood right through to adulthood. I love being close to the sea here, no matter what time of year it is or how bad the weather is, there is always beauty to be found in the landscape of the bay.

Filey in my opinion is the best beach for sand. It's solid so it doesn't stick to your feet and get kicked in your shoes when walking, there's very few sharp shells and it's perfect for building sandcastles as it's already damp. It's also super clean as the tide comes right up into the bay, which makes for some pretty impressive waves. My favourite things to do in Filey are paddling in the lapping waves, checking out the rock pools for sea life and fossil hunting followed by a hot chocolate to warm up.









The first photo was taken the day we arrived and the last was the day we left. It was dark and rainy for the time in between including the day we walked onto Filey Brigg (the cliff face you can see in the distance) with full winter wear against the coastal winds. While on the Brigg we had the surprise of seeing a seal pup I've only ever seen one other seal on the Brigg before. It was so windy on the Brigg we had to fight the wind just to stay standing but it was totally worth it for the view of the crashing waves on the other side of the bay. While there we checked out the rock pools and found loads of hermit crabs, two different types of crabs and some little tiny fishes.

I had a lovely time and can't wait to go back, sadly we decided against our fishing trip plans as the weather just wasn't good enough (didn't fancy three hours in a boat in the rain) so planning on trying again early next year when the weather might be more preferable.
 
Where's your favourite coastal resort?
Sam

Want to see more posts follow on 

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful time! The place looks so nice and just like a place I would love myself!
    Patti www.shiftingtales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A week really is not long enough for a holiday, it goes way too quickly. I can't wait to visit again. =^-^=

      Delete
  2. Ah I love this! It's like a proper seaside holiday with cockels and crab fishing! Gorgeous photos, hope you had a lovely time! x

    Sophie Elizabeth
    http://www.popcornandglitter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The cockels where so scrummy and even nicer eaten by the sea. =^-^=

      Delete
  3. Aww the seal pup! So adorable ^.^ Looks like you had such a lovely time, fossil hunting followed by hot chocolate sounds perfect x

    J'adore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seal pup was a real highlight to our trip. It amazes me that every time I go I still find loads of fossils and hot chocolate is a requirement! Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  4. I used to live near Filey! Reading this post is making me feel so nostalgic!
    - Molly x

    molly-ap.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to live there one day, it's such a lovely place. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  5. Stunning pictures...as a fellow Yorkshire girl, I recently moved back to Leeds and have been rediscovering my hometown. Filey/Scarborough are on my list, as well as Whitby (perhaps next Summer now).

    Not necessarily a coastal town, but Knaresborough has to be my favourite place I've explored. I felt like I was in a little French/Italian old town or something. Saltaire is also next on my list, especially with the weather getting cooler and it's ideal weather for city/town exploring :)

    - Lubna from The Digital Review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knaresborough sounds lovely, somewhere for me to check out next year. Saltaire is really nice, I went there a few weeks back. They have some really good craft markets on. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete