Monday, April 3, 2017

Reading Roundup | March

Hi, I've got my book reviews for the last month to share today. I feel like my reading has slowed down a lot but I'm still keeping on target with my reading challenge so it's not all bad. I've got some bulky books lined up I want to read so I'll have to try and make more time to keep on track.
 

Reading Challenge 9/35


Beautiful Broken Things

Author - Sara Barnard
Page Count - 322
First Published - 2016
 
This book marks the end of me reading YA for a little while. I don't remember why I choose to read this book as the blurb doesn't really say much but I think sometimes it's best to go into a book blind. The book features depression which seems to be a very common theme within YA at the moment. I don't think this is a bad thing as it's a subject that need to be talked about.

Beautiful broken things is the story of friendship between teenage girls. In this case what happens when two life long friends gain a third friend and the pressure it can put on the original friendship. The story is set from the perspective of Caddy, showing her changing feelings towards her life long friendship with Rosie and her uncertainty of the new arrival Suzanne.

I'm on the fence with this book, I neither loved or hated it. It's so hard to explain why without giving away the story but as with most books that are set in the mundane something crazy happens that just makes the story unrealistic, either that or I was a really boring teenager.

The Girl On The Train

Author - Paula Hawkins
Page Count - 316
First Published - 2015

I'm not a big fan of psychological thrillers and that is probably the reason why books such as this one I still haven't been tempted to pick up. I was gifted this book for my Birthday and so I had no reason not to finally read it.

Rachel catches the same train every day, it stops at the same signal where she can look in on a family. She fantasizes about their perfect life and wishes that she could be that happy. Until one day when she sees something that changes everything. She is then given the opportunity to emerge herself in their reality.

This is a story about depression, loss, jealousy and ownership. The book is written from the perspectives of three different woman Rachel the alcoholic, Anna the liar and Megan the cheat. Chapters change from perspective and time throughout the story. I'm happy to say that while the ending was a little predictable I hadn't guessed it so that was refreshing.

The Silver Linings Playbook

Author -
Page Count - 289
First Published - 2012

This is one of those I want to watch the film but want to read the book first situations. I'm a big fan of Jennifer Lawrence as an actress so I was instantly drawn to the story. It's another book that features mental health.

Pat Peoples has just returned home from a stay in a psychiatric hospital. How long and why he went there in the first place are things Pat has forgotten. Pat believes in silver linings and that one day soon apart time with his wife Nikki will end. He meets Tiffany a women with her own problems who befriends Pat.

The book is set from Pat's perspective and written in an almost diary entry way. The book overall is a bit repetitive in theme with a few moments where there are advancements in Pats memory triggered by finding items or through conversations with his family and friends. I'm really looking forward to watching the film adaptation as I feel that the chemistry between the characters will be better portrayed from a different perspective.
 
What have you been reading?
Sam

Want to see more posts follow on

1 comment:

  1. Great post Sam and lovely to hear what books you have been reading. I finally read The Girl on The Train, it was my first thriller and overall I enjoyed it. I like the sound of Beautiful Broken Things! I’m after something easy to read as my current book is Chocolat by Joanne Harris, it’s okay, and I love the descriptions of the chocolate shop but the writing is very dense and it’s very slow reading! Happy reading over Easter! :-) xx

    Helen | Helen’s Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete