Monday, October 5, 2015

Why We Need To Fight The Microbead

Hi, Today I'm talking about the issue of Microbeads in our beauty products. These microscopic pieces of plastic are added to beauty products as an exfoliating aid, bizarrely even in products that contain a natural exfoliant anyway. These plastics aren't always adding anything extra to the product, just bulking it up to make the product cheaper to produce.


The issue with these Microbeads is that they are entering into the food chain. Tiny marine life are eating these microscopic piece of plastic thinking they are a tasty treat unable to tell the difference between them and other natural marine food. These tiny marine animals are then been eaten by bigger and bigger fish until inevitably they end up on our own plates. I believe scientists are currently trying to work out if there will be long term damage and whether the plastics are toxic in the long run, but personally I'd rather do my bit to stop the ever growing problem now.

To see if a product you are using or intend on buying doesn't contain these harmful plastics you can use this dedicated website: www.beatthemicrobead.org

Types of plastic in products
  • Polyethylene (PE)
  • Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)
  • Polymethyl Methacrylate (PMMA)
  • Polypropylene (PP)
  • Nylon

Today in England single use plastic bags will now be chargeable at the price of 5p per bag to try and stop the over use of plastic (already happening in Scotland and wales). I won't feel the effect of this too badly as I shop in Aldi where they already charged for bags. The change only applies to chains which employ over 250 full time employees but it's a step in the right direction. So if you're off shopping make sure you take your own bags if you don't want to incur extra charges. All the money made from the sales of the plastic bags will be going to charity so it's kind of a win win situation.

Will you make the switch to plastic free products?
Sam

Want to see more posts follow on 

7 comments:

  1. Wow I never even knew about this. I'm intrigued to see if my products contain these. I like to think that the more expensive products wouldn't but I wouldn't be surprised either.

    I'm actually ok with the bag cost - I use a tote a lot anyway but if it helps discourage people from using plastic then great. Thanks for sharing your post Hun xx

    Sophie Elizabeth
    www.popcornandglitter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote this after finding that a product with raspberry seeds as the exfoliator also contained the Mircobeads, it’s such a pointless thing to add. I think the bag charge is a great move and it’s about time England joined the rest of the UK, I always have my rucksack with me so it’s not really an issue. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  2. I had no idea about this - I think I'm a perpetrator with my exfoliater! Oh dear I better check the app. Your post has already made a difference :) Thanks for bringing it to light! xxxxx
    Jesska - Opal Soul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of brands are now phasing out microbeads due to the bad press, which is a great thing. In the meantime I’m trying to be a little more careful about which brands are worthy of spending my money on. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  3. Such a good idea to write a post about this! I stopped using products with microbeads a while ago, when I found out what is in there!
    And it's always best to bring your own bags to shopping! I always have my cotton bags with me, even when I go clothes shopping! People often forget that you get plastic bags as well when you buy other stuff than food! But I admit, I usually get weird looks by the cashier when I get out my cotton bag in a clothes store :D
    Patti www.shiftingtales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tempted to start making homemade beauty products so I know exactly what’s in them, oat scrubs sounds like a really nice idea. Clothes stores don’t ask if you need a bag enough, I always have a bag with me, it just makes sense. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  4. Yay! It's good to see more and more people learning about microbeads and the harm of them! I did a post about them a few months ago, too. It's so infuriating to learn that we're scrubbing our faces with bits of plastic because it makes a cheaper product, especially when there are similarly priced products with natural exfoliates on the market! I think the worst is that, according to one source I read, microbeads are sometimes used to, I don't know, contain? enhance? scent. I don't think any of us really needs scent that much!

    I like that the UK is working to limit the consumption of plastics as well! Unfortunately, here, the only time similar acts are put in place is around Christmas - and then they get rid of the fee to help people save money post-holiday :/

    Erin
    http://sexycardi.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete