Monday, March 14, 2016

Reading Roundup | January-February Book Reviews

Hi, I'd say it's been a slow start to the year with reading. I'm late reviewing the books I've read so far in 2016, during Jan-Feb I managed to read four books one of which was February's #Sassybooks pick. I've reset my Goodreads goal to 35 books which is on average just under 3 books a month, I'm not doing too badly and will be-able to catch up during the summer.



January/February Reading Roundup - Year Book Count4

Infinite Sky
Author - C.J. Flood
Page Count - 274
First Published - 2013

Iris is a young girl who lives with her family on a farm, one day her mum leaves to travel the world. Shortly after a family of travelers move into the unused paddock area of the farm. Iris is mesmerism by them and befriends a boy named Trick. Tensions are high and the family relationship between father, sister and brother starts to fall apart, secrets and out of character behavior ensue. All amounting to a lovely summer romance that goes so very wrong.

I don't want to spoil the book but feel the need to say that there is a death within the story. This maybe wasn't the best book to pick regard my own recent loss of a family member but it was so beautifully written. I bought this book as part of a pack of young adult stories and enjoyed it so much, it's only a small book but it is full of feeling and a really well planed out story.

Divergent
Author - Veronica Roth
Page Count - 487
First Published - 2011


I'm a massive fan of a trilogy so it was about time I finally got around to reading the Divergent series. I feel I want to review these books together once I've finished them all so I'll keep this light.

With all trilogies I always enjoy the first book the most, this is down to the scene setting and the back story, I love learning about the new world in which the characters live. Within this world is a city walled and defended from the outside and unknown. People live in a kind of harmony created by living within one of five different groups known as factions. The factions include Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), Erudite (the intelligent), Abnegation (the selfless) and Candor (the honest). There is also a sixth group known as the Factionless, the people who didn't find their place. The story joins Beatrice who is from the Abnegation faction, as she is about to take part in the choosing ceremony where she chooses which faction she will pledge her future too. 

Insurgent
Author - Veronica Roth
Page Count - 525
First Published - 2012

The second book in the Divergent series takes you deeper into the world and the problems with it. The story contain a lot of conflict and a power struggles which the characters keep getting caught up in. The story gives enough information to keep you wanting to know what happens next and thankfully I had all three books so the cliff hanger endings where endurable. The end of insurgent has a big turn of events that changes everything they know and leaves you wanting answers.

Have you set yourself a reading goal?
Sam

Want to see more posts follow on 

2 comments:

  1. My goal was at least one book a month. I am trying to get back on track! I am currently reading Insurgent, I thought that being the second chapter of the saga, could possibly lack in topic. That's not! I'm finishing chapters page after page, can't wait to start Allegiant! :)

    federica | www.theprettypeony.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your goal, I've finished Allegiant now and it did not disappoint. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete