Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Reading Roundup | November Book Reviews

Hi, This month I've managed to finish off three books. This means I'm in a great place for my Goodreads challenge and that I only need to read three more books in December to hit my target of 35 books. This month I have been reading mostly young adult novels, one of which has been on my TBR since spring.


November Reading Roundup - Year Book Count 32

Armarda


Author - Ernest Cline
Page Count - 349
First Published - 2015

After reading and loving 'Ready Player One' last year I have been really looking forward to reading Cline's follow up Armarda. This book is one for sci-fi lovers and gamers, it links back to a lot of real world entertainment and asks some interesting questions. One thing to note if reading this after ready player one is that it is a totally different story and should not be compared.

Zack Lightman is a teenage boy and an avid gamer, clocking in several hours on his favourite game 'Armarda' every day. Zack's father died when he was just a baby, leaving a collection of 80's music and films as the only thing Zack has to connect with him. One day Zack spots a UFO straight out of Armada flying around his high school and he instantly thinks he's losing his mind. Soon after he's called into service as one of the best online fighter pilots to save the world from an alien invasion.

For me the story took too long to get to any real action and then the action was rushed. There's a lot of name dropping of shows and other games over and over which just made me feel like the author was just upping the word count. It is Cline's style to reference 80's pop culture but it got stale quickly. I think this is truly a book for fans of a certain type of fandom and will be loved but for me it was hard work to finish.



Asking For It


Author - Louise O'Neill
Page Count - 340
First Published - 2015

Another book that I've been looking forward to reading after the authors debut novel is 'Asking for it'. This was interesting on a few levels and I don't think anyone would say that they enjoyed reading this book due to the story focus of rape. Again this is a book I feel was slightly spoilt by my comparison to O'Neill's debut 'Only Ever Yours' which I think everyone should read.

Emma is the most beautiful girl in her town and she knows it. She's really rather a bitch, pointing out her friends worst features and giving bad advice. All the guys want her and she's happy to oblige as long as they keep it quiet. One particular party things get out of hand, she drinks too much and takes drugs, the next morning she remembers nothing of the night before. It's not until later that the Facebook page surfaces and she see's why people are sniggering behind her back.

O'Neill writes Emma as should a hard character to make you the reader queastion was she asking for it? After all if she was nicer to her friends surely someone would have looked after her. If she wasn't dressed to show off her figure in a tiny dress, she wouldn't have been the focus for the abuse. Was it her self obsessed characteristic that made her attacker think she deserved it.

Overall the book is an interesting read and I wouldn't discourage people from reading it (it could be quite triggering). My only real issue with the book is the cliff hanger ending which is purposeful and will not be answered. It's O'Neill's way of asking you to make your own decisions of what the outcome should be.


I'll Give You The Sun


Author - Jandy Nelson
Page Count - 429
First Published - 2015


So I've just finished this book and don't have time to fully digest the ending as it's the night before this post is scheduled but I can say I enjoyed it a lot. This was previously a book within the #sassybooks club which I missed out on reading and have wanted to read ever since.

The blurb of this book gives very little away apart from it's LGBT content. The story is about twins Noah and Jude, they are so close until one day tragedy hits their family and lies tear them apart. The book is written from the perspectives of Noah and Jude separately at different times in their life's. I found the chapters (which where more like sections) to be too long. It's a hard book to leave mid section which took away from the reading experience (so if possible make time to indulge in this book).

The story for me was a slow burner, Noah's sections are stronger and I connected more with his character but come the end I loved them both the same. There's a bit of jumping around with the time setting but it's simple to follow and the story gives away just enough information to keep you reading on. Without giving too much away the ending was just what I needed after investing my time into these characters.

Have you read any good books recently?
Sam

Want to see more posts follow on

2 comments:

  1. I had similar thoughts on "Asking for it" but I think overall it approached the subject rather well. It's such a hard one to write about and I think by making the character so hard to like at times it made the questions that are always asked over rape more visible, highlighting that ultimately those questions don't matter. Rape is rape.

    Great reviews!

    Kay, www.ohkay-dohkay.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asking for It sounds really interesting. I feel like it leaves a lot of room for some self reflection and thinking which is always a great aspect in a book.

    I haven't really read anything worth mentioning lately. But, I am currently reading Jane Eyre, which is surprisingly good. I expected to like it because I tend to like English classics, but I wasn't expecting to enjoy reading it, if that makes sense? Usually, while I like the story, getting through the book can be a bit difficult. But this one is great!

    Erin | Explore, Refresh

    ReplyDelete