Thursday, December 1, 2016

Doing Advent Differently #ReverseAdvent | #Blogmas Day 1

Hi, As you can see from the title I'm doing Blogmas, or at least I'm going to try. It's the first day of advent and I wanted to let you know that I'm doing things differently. I can't remember where I first heard about the concept but I received an email from Co-op promoting #ReverseAdvent (this post was planned way before this). I doubt it's a new idea but I wanted to do my bit to make someones Christmas.


To do your own #ReverseAdvent simply put an item of food in a box for the 24 days of advent and on Christmas Eve go and donate it to a local food charity. I think the idea works really well if you've got children to show them that not everyone is going to have a care free Christmas, but by being caring they can help (humanity at it's best). I personally think I'll box up the products and donate them well before Christmas Eve so the staff have time to distribute the food so it can make a difference to someones Christmas.

People find themselves in need of help from food banks for a whole range of reasons and commonly it's people who have suddenly been made redundant from a job or got a large unexpected bill that they find themselves in need of help. The Trussell Trust is a UK charity who are trying to make food poverty a thing of the past. Most supermarkets have a donation point so you can make a difference by picking up a few extra items on your next shop and dropping them off.



The basic products you can add are none perishable food items such as dried pasta or tinned goods, anything with a really good shelf life. Christmas treat foods with a shorter shelf life are also good because they won't need to be around for long. It's up to you what you want to add so if you've got toys or toiletries that's great, but make sure that the charity you plan to donate to can accept that type of item. After some research into my local food bank they have a Christmas donation list and a list of highly needed items which I will be adding to my donation.

What do you think of this concept, will you be taking part? #ReverseAdvent
Sam

Want to see more posts follow on 
Bloglovin

This post is not sponsored.
Co-op had #ReverseAdvent packs available to the general public, sadly they are all gone now.

4 comments:

  1. I'll be honest and say that I've not heard of reverse advent before but I think it's a fantastic concept.

    I think it's too easy to forget that not everyone is able to indulge at Christmas time xx

    www.kirstyburrage.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! That's a fantastic idea! It's funny because as I was reading your post I was thinking 'I would try to get everything ready a few days before' but then you said that exact same thing, haha.

    I'm definitely hoping to donate some food this year, but I intend on donating some gifts for kids who might not get that 'wow' item. It's fun to shop for kids, and you know it will be well received :)

    Erin | Explore, Refresh

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so lovely Sam! I'm definitely going to do something similar. Thanks for the idea!
    Imogen’s Typewriter. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a lovely idea! I never heard of reverse advent before but it's great! It's so nice to see that much charity around in Advent season, as it reminds us to be grateful and help people that are less fortunate, not only on Christmas but the whole year!
    I will look into similar charities here in Germany and see what possibilities I have.
    Patti Shifting Tales

    ReplyDelete