Monday, December 12, 2016

One Year On | #BLOGMAS Day 12

Hi, Today is going to a sombre post which will probably seem out of place among all the happy Christmas posts. It's a subject that I believe will effect a lot of people at this time of year and that is the loss of a loved one at Christmas (or any time of year TBH). I'm sorry if this post isn't all that interesting but I felt I needed to mark this day in some way.



Today marks the one year anniversary of my boyfriends fathers death. It's scary to think that it's already been a year and it's even harder when you think about all the things he's already missed from his kids lives. One of the times I felt the most grief for his passing was when I went to visit my grandad and was hit by the realisation that I wouldn't get to see my future Father in law grow old. When a young person dies you grieve for the life they should have had. I grieved for the family he left behind and the friend I hoped in the future to make a life long bonds with.

We took comfort in the fact that he was with friends having the holiday of a life time and doing what made him happy. I'll never forget the morning we found out. I don't think it really sunk in that he wasn't coming back because he wasn't due to return until the New Year so his absence at Christmas was expected. We had Christmas cards written by him waiting to be opened on Christmas day.

Today we're all meeting up to remember him and not let the day be a sad one (how can it not be). I don't have any words of wisdom but if you are missing someone this Christmas remember that it was a privilege to have known that person and your own life is richer for it. Take comfort in the memories you have and don't be afraid to talk about them.

Does Christmas time make grief worse?
Sam

Want to see more posts follow on 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your and your boyfriend's loss. I don't think that grief is any worse around Christmas, but it can of course be more noticeable. The whole Advent season and Christmas are all about spending time with your family and if one member is suddenly missing it must hurt a lot.
    It's such a nice idea to remember him today and keep the happy memories alive.
    Patti Shifting Tales

    ReplyDelete