Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Christmas Baking - Easy Mince Pies With A Twist | #BLOGMAS Day 13

Hi, Okay so I might just have the easiest baking idea for you to try over the festivities, Mince pies but with a twist. These are great to make if you're expecting guests as they're super simple and don't take that long to make. I've been making these puff pastry mince pies for years and I much prefer them to their short crust pastry cousins.


Easy Mince Pie With A Twist


Ingredients
  • Ready Roll Puff Pastry
  • Jar of Mincemeat
Optional Extras
  • A little milk
  • Icing Sugar

Start by removing the packaging from the puff pastry and unroll onto a work surface. Once unrolled pick your cutter of choice, I just used an upturned glass for mine, start to cut out your mince pies. Make sure when cutting the dough to put the cutter as close to the edge of the last one to reduce on waste. I got six mince pies out of my roll and then reworked the left overs to make another three (these ones are not as pretty but taste just as good).

Lay out your bases on a lined baking tray and fill with mincemeat, don't use too much as they can split. Once filled add the lids and crimp the edges of the pie with your fingers to seal the mincemeat inside. Finally add some small cuts into the top to allow steam from the hot fruit to escape. Cook on gas mark 6 for 25-30 minuets or until golden brown. You can also give your pies a brush with some milk to give them a glazed finish before popping them in the oven.



When cooked leave them on the tray to cool for a little while before transferring them to a cooling rack. Once cooled completely you can decorate them with some icing sugar to make them look more festive and then enjoy. I love how quick these mince pies are to make thanks to the ready roll pastry, the cooking is the longest part of the process. I love making this alternative version of mince pies as you only really see the classic short bread versions on the high street and I want my home baking to be something a little more special.

Let me know if you give these mince pies a go, happy baking!
Sam

Want to see more posts follow on 

No comments:

Post a Comment