Wednesday, November 18, 2015

100th Post and a Book Haul

Hi, This is my 100th post which is madness. I can't believe that I've got to the point of writing so many posts in such a short amount of time, it feels great. On the other hand with writing so many posts I feel a little out of ideas which is why the blog has been a little quiet. I've got big plans for December so I'm hoping to make it up to you.

BOOK HAUL

So I wanted to share with you some books I've recently bought with the hope of reading as many as possible to get to my target goal for the year of 35 books, I've got six books to go so I'm not doing too badly. I've got a mixture of books some from Amazon which where on a 3 for £10 offer and some second hand books from the charity shop which cost me 50p each.

The Martian - Andy Weir

I wanted to see the film but knowing it was a book I had to read that first. A story about an astronaut who is believed dead and left behind when a mission to mars is aborted. The story follows Mark Watney on his fight to survive. The book is written in short log entries, I can't wait to see how they read.

 

Panic - Lauren Oliver

This book is dubbed as a kind of Hunger Games story and as such interested me. A story about a set of games all about facing your biggest fears, the blurb gives the impression that there is some sort of prize but it's vague. Written from the perspective of two different characters, a writing style I love as you get to see things from different angels.

 

 Just a Girl Standing in Front of a Boy - Lucy-Anne Holmes

With the holidays coming I wanted something a little more lighthearted to pass a few hours. This book is about a woman who thinks shes got everything worked out and then everything changes. She meets a guy, her boyfriend proposes and her mother leaves her father and moves in with her. It sounds really cheesy but sometimes thats not a bad thing.



The next books are the ones I picked up in the charity shop, I had £2 in change so I had to get four considering how cheap they where. I fear if I'd had more money I would have been tempted to buy more. I grabbed two of these books crazy fast as I knew I wanted to read them, those being 'Us' and 'How to be a woman' having read books by both authors this year, I wanted to see how these compare. The other two where random selections which sounded interesting enough to tempt me into picking them.

 

Us - David Nicholls

'Douglas and Connie: scientist and artist, and for more than twenty years, husband and wife until suddenly, their marriage seems over. But Douglas is going to win back the love of his wife and the respect of Albie, their teenage son, by organising the holiday of a lifetime. He has booked the hotels, bought the train tickets, planned and printed the itinerary for a 'grand tour' of the great art galleries of Europe. What could possibly go wrong?'

How to Be a Woman - Caitlin Moran

'There's never been a better time to be a woman: we have the vote and the pill, and we haven't been burnt as witches since 1727. However, a few nagging questions do remain...'

Behind the Scenes at the Museum - Kate Atkinson

'Ruby Lennox was conceived grudgingly by Bunty and born while her father, George, was in the Dog and Hare in Doncaster telling a woman in an emerald dress and a D-cup that he wasn't married. Bunty had never wanted to marry George, but her she was, stuck in the flat above the pet shop in an ancient street beneath York Minster, with sensible and sardonic Patricia aged five, greedy cross-patch Gillian who refused to be ignored and Ruby...'

How to Love - Katie Cotugno

'This is not a love story. But it's not what you think. This is not a first kiss, or a first date. This is not love at first sight. This is a boy and a girl falling in messy, unpredictable, thrilling love. This is the complicated route to happiness that follows. This is the real. This is life. This is how love is.'


 I hope you've maybe found a new book to add to your to read list and thank you for reading.
Sam

Want to see more posts follow on 

 


4 comments:

  1. I had no idea The Martian was a book! Everyone is talking about so I'd thought about seeing the movie, but I had no idea that it was a book! Maybe if the movie turns out to be a good one, I'll be reading that! Otherwise I think Panic sounds interesting, I've read a lot like it, but I like staying safe with things I know I like, haha! How to Love sounds great too, I'm a sucker for romantic novels and movies, if they seem realistic! ;) Right now I really want a book with Roal Dahl short stories though, I've read a few of them, and I loved them!! But now I don't seem to be able to find a book with a collection of them..

    Filippa ⎮ http://alwaysadot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard the Martian book is much different from the film, I'd be interested to see the differences. Cute haul :) xx

    Sophie Elizabeth
    www.popcornandglitter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed Us, I think I zoomed through it in about three days! I haven't read any of the others but How to Be a Woman is in my to-read pile too :) Good luck with finishing your goal!
    Megan x
    London Callings

    ReplyDelete