Friday, November 13, 2015

7 Ways To Save Money When Buying Books

Hi, I recently bought quite a few books and I don't feel too guilty about the money I've spent as they really didn't end up costing that much. This got me thinking about how I manage to do a ton of reading without spending a crazy amount of money. I think I'd have a shock if I wrote down what I have spent this year on books but I know it would be a whole lot more if I wasn't following these points. So here are my money saving tips, I hope they are helpful.

7 Ways To Save Money When Buying Books


Ways To Save Money When Buying Books


Ebooks
I'm yet to get an e-reader as I prefer the feel of a book in my hands but I think they are a great idea. One of the main reasons I wish I had one is for the savings on buying books. EBooks are normally a bit cheaper and are often on really great deals. Obviously you've got the price of the e-reader to offset but I'm sure it'll work out cheaper in the long run.

Charity Shops
I recently found a charity shop selling really good books at only 50p each, what a bargain. The key to charity shops is to have an open mind and not judge the books on their cover too much. You can find some new releases as well if you're lucky. You might have to go in a few shops but I kind of like the element of mystery about what I'll find.

Buy Discounted
I never pay full price for books if I can help it, one of the first places I look if I'm wanting to buy a book is on Amazon. They are currently running a 3 for £10 on paperbacks promotion, depending on what you pick you can make huge savings. Supermarkets are also a great place to find discounts and promotions.

Buy the Bookset
If it's a trilogy/series your looking to buy, see if there is a complete collection you can purchase. I got the Game of Thrones books for £30 which equals about £4.30 for each of the seven books, a lot cheaper than buying them all separately.

Loyalty cards
If you end up buying a lot of books try to buy them from the same retailer with a loyalty rewards scheme to build up points/stamps to qualify for free books. Being on a mailing list also means you'll get sent discounts and promotions.

Join the Library
Most of the books I read come from the library, you'll be surprised by just how good they can be with having recent releases. If they don't have what you're looking for there is the option to get a copy sent to your local library for a small fee. Most library also offer the option of eBooks. I find looking online at the availability and selection of books is really helpful before I make a visit.

Have a Book Swap
Me and my friends have swapped books for years and it's one of the best ways to read more books without paying for them. I think it also makes you read books you might not have picked. There are often places you can swap books, there's a book swap area in my local bus station and a pub crammed with books where they're happy for you to do a swap. Have a look around I'm sure they'll be something similar in your area.

Do you have any tips for saving money on books?
Sam

Want to see more posts follow on 

10 comments:

  1. I love this post! I verrrrry rarely buy books full price, in fact I can probably count on one hand the number of books I've ever paid full price for! Charity shops and car boot sales are my best friends, but I also find that supermarkets such as Tesco and Asda have a pretty decent yet small variety of books available!

    Lauren x
    http://whatlaurendidtoday.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally forgot about car boots being a good way to buy books, it's been so long since I've been to one. I always feel like I have to keep a book I've paid a lot for and then you've got the storage problem so I love to buy cheap. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad I have my Kindle, as there are so many great deals for ebooks! I only stick to actual books when I know I want to keep that book on an actual shelf because I like it that much. And you save space as well which is great!
    Patti
    www.shiftingtales.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main reason I need an Ereader is for the storage, books take up so much room. It is nice to have your favorites sitting on the shelf though. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  3. Love this!
    I live very close to this amazing little used book shop called The Amazing Alonzo (coolest name ever right?) Anyway, they'll accept your old books as forms of payment -- sort of like a trade. I have no idea how they're actually able to stay open by trading books!

    -Alex
    A Northern Light

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds so good, you do have to wounder how it stays open. I think it's a great idea, I like to think of a book being enjoyed by more than one person. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  4. I am always buying my books from charity shops! Great money saving post lovely! x
    a life of a charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love finding books in charity shops, they're always so cheap! I buy quite a lot of books for my Kindle too, although if I really love a book then I get a physical copy :) A book swap is a great idea! xx

    Toasty

    ReplyDelete
  6. book swap sounds terrific. i should really do that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my kindle!! The books are just such a bargain and you can cross them across 2 devices as well, so me and the boyf can still share books. Ideal! x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete