Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth | #Sassybooks November

Hi, Another #Sassybooks review for you today, this month we read 'The Miseducation of Cameron Post', a young adult novel focusing on the feelings of a young girl who is gay, set in the early nineties when not everyone's sexuality was accepted as openly as it is today. This book has been a real struggle to finish in time as it's just so long, don't forget to check out Charlotte's and Hayley's blogs for next month's book choice.


The Miseducation of Cameron Post

Author - Emily M. Danforth
Page Count - 470
First Published - 2012

Cameron post is a girl of 12 when her friendship with best friend Irene takes a sudden turn and they kiss. Cameron is both excited and confused by the event right from the beginning knowing she is doing something unconventional and frowned upon. Shortly after Cameron's parents have a tragic accident leaving her an orphan, her first thought is that her parents will never have to know her secret. Following her parents death, religious Aunt Ruth moves to secluded Miles City to become Cameron's guardian.

The story then follows Cameron over the years documenting her self discovery up until the point when Coley Taylor arrives in town, the perfect cowgirl type with a boyfriend. They form an unlikely friendship, which leads to much more and then Cameron's sexuality becomes public information. Overly religious Ruth sends Cameron to 'promise' a gay correction school in an attempt to 'fix' her niece.

The book is split into three sections: Summer 1989, High School 1991-1992 and God's Promise 1992-1993, the sections make the passing of time more apparent. I liked that there where odd little images of postcards and handwritten notes added among the text. The chapters where so long which I don't think helped me on my mission to finish this book. I didn't give myself nearly enough time to really enjoy it, having to force myself to read it to get it finished in time for the review. I fear that if I didn't have a deadline I would have been stuck reading this book for a considerably longer amount of time.

The writing is really lovely and very descriptive but at times the plot line seemed too distant for me to really be interested and submerged within the story. I really enjoyed the concept but I failed to connect with Cameron. She seems almost too laid back about the whole situation of being sent away and doesn't stand up for her own feelings nearly enough. I loved the elements of friendship and generally the young adult vibes but I think the true point of the story, the difference between rights and beliefs was a little under developed.

I'm looking forward to finding out what we are reading in December. Have you read this book?
Sam

Want to see more posts follow on 

6 comments:

  1. I think I have a very similar opinion about the book. It was just a bit lengthy which made it really hard to finish it in time for the review! I'm also excited to see what next month's book of choice is going to be!
    Patti
    www.shiftingtales.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh I wish it was a little bit shorter, I find shorter chapters spur me on to read faster but these where so long. I'm hoping for something festive or up beat to go with the time of year for next months book. =^-^=

      Delete
  2. The basic plot of this book sounds interesting, but your comments are holding me back a bit, haha. Though, as I wouldn't be reading it with a deadline I suppose that might make it a bit easier of a time. I might have a look for it next time I look around a bookstore, the writing style might intrigue me enough to get through it because it DOES sound interesting!

    Thanks for the review!

    Erin
    http://sexycardi.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great book if you've got the time to invest in it and really sit down and enjoy it. I tried to find it in a few book shops and no one had it in stock, so I don't know if it's a rather undiscovered book. Thanks for reading. =^-^=

      Delete
  3. If I'm truly honest I still haven't finished this. But I am determined I will get round to it. Thank you for taking part. We are relaunching for January and the book is Quiet by Susan Cain. I hope you can take part :) Have a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete