Friday, April 15, 2016

10 Nighttime Rituals For A Better Nights Sleep

Hi, The inspiration for this post came about the other night when I just couldn't switch off. Eventually my mind finally stopped twittering on about stuff that really didn't matter and I fell asleep but way over an hour and a half later than I had wanted to be. Needless to say I was a bit tired the following morning and that got me thinking about ways I may be able to improve my sleep in future.

Nighttime Rituals For A Better Nights Sleep


Have A Nighttime Schedule
I've put this point first as I think it's the most important. Have a schedule that you can stick too as much as possible, by doing this your body will naturally know when it's time to go to sleep. The schedule doesn't have to start at getting into bed you can plan your night around things you want to get done or plan time for relaxing. The key is to make time for what you want.

Make Sure You're Comfortable
There are a few factors which can stop you from getting the sleep you deserve based purely on comfort. Making sure the room isn't too hot when possible and dressing accordingly can help. When the seasons change think about coordinating your bedding to maximize comfort.

Do Some Light Exercise
This is something I would love to add into my nightly routine. It's not advised to do full on exercise on a evening but light stretches in the form of Yoga or a bit of meditation are great ways to wind down at the end of the day.

Midnight Feasts Are Not Your Friend
Avoid eating too late in the evening and don't be fooled into thinking alcohol helps sleep. You might get to sleep a little easier but the quality of sleep is effected and you're likely to wake in the night unable to get back to sleep.

Look After Yourself
Make sure you've done all the necessary things like brushing your teeth and removing your makeup, you'll feel a lot fresher for it. A nice relaxing bath will help you unwind and a bit of a pamper is great for positivity.

Plan Ahead
Where possible plan as much in advance for the following day to remove the issues from the mind. You could plan your outfit or make a packed lunch, anything that will help make the morning more relaxed and in turn remove the stress.

Avoid Screen Time
If you are going to watch a film do it with plenty of time before you plan to sleep and avoid using phones and other screen based gadgets. These forms of entertainment activate the mind and make it hard for us to fall asleep.

Keep The Bedroom Tidy
If one room in your home should be Pinterest worthy it's your bedroom. Make sure it's clear of clutter or anything that gets the mind going like letters that need filing. It should be a relaxed environment which your mind associates with sleep.

Try Not To Worry
I know this is easier said than done, but I know from experience that what ever my mind thinks up is always way worse than the reality. If you can't sleep due to things whizzing about in the mind make lists to remove these issues for the time being, you can deal with them later. Another issue is watching the time pass when you can't drift off, remove any clocks and don't be tempted to check the time, it will only make you feel worse.

Read
Lastly reading is always a great way to end the day and will help you sleep. You don't have to be a book worm to read before bed, a short story or a poem or even a selection of quotes will be helpful. Try to pick something filled with positivity as it is great for the mind just before sleep.
   
Do you have any tips for a better nights sleep?
Sam

Want to see more posts follow on 

3 comments:

  1. I definitely can't eat and then go to sleep right away, that always gives me nightmares. I think not watching the news or reading the paper right before bed makes you sleep better as well.

    www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do some breathing exercises when I can't sleep and it's been helping me out loads!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to cut down on my screen time but it's just so hard!!

    Ox
    http://www.theprintedparade.com

    ReplyDelete