Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling | #Sassybooks April

Hi, I'm back with another #Sassybooks review. This month we decided to read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone which I think for the majority of us is a re-read. Don't forget to check out Charlotte's and Hayley's blogs for next month's book choice.



Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Author - J.K. Rowling
Page Count - 223
First Published - 1997

I have mixed feeling about re-reading this book, I can't remember when I got into Harry Potter but I think the third book was released so quite late in the game really. I originally read these books via copies from the library, funnily enough they didn't have any of the kids covers left so I checked out the adult versions, which had much moodier cover artwork. I think the Harry Potter series was the first set of books within the fantasy genre I read and made me truly fall for the characters and the world they occupied. The fact they are fantasy is really minimal and the books reflect a lot of parallels between the two worlds so it's really easy to relate too. Please don't judge me on this really dog eared copy of Harry Potter, my mum bought it for my sister hoping that Harry Potter would be the book to get her into reading but nope.


On to the story, so you'll already know it unless you've lived under a rock the past 19 years, if that's the case here's a summary. Harry Potter is a young boy who thinks he is as ordinary as they come and has been dealt a bad hand in life, he lives with his Uncle and Aunt in the cupboard under the stairs after his parents untimely death. On Harry's eleventh birthday he finally receives his letter of acceptance to Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry and that’s when things get interesting. This book will be 20 next year, when did my childhood become so distant I would have been 8 when the first book came out. This book of just over 200 pages is where it all began, the ignition spark for the flame that set the nation a light for the wizarding world and it has a lot to answer for with all the people awaiting their letter to Hogwarts. Harry, Ron and Hermione will forever be a big part of a generation of kids lives.

My mixed feelings come form the fact that on re-reading this book I've found that the film has altered my memory on what happened and there where characters all over the place I wasn't expecting, which was rather amusing. I felt that the language of the book was a lot simpler than I remember, but I totally get why as I was a young kid when I first read this book and I'm sure that was Rowling's intention. The stories along with the characters gain experience and become so much moodier along the time line and my most recent memories are of the last books. With that said I truly enjoyed the experience of indulging back into my childhood and the plan is to continue re-reading the rest of the Harry Potter series.

Have you ever re-read the Harry Potter series?
Sam

Want to see more posts follow on 

6 comments:

  1. I only started reading Harry Potter when the third book came out as well. I remember my mother and brother were reading the first two books but I didn't want to, don't know why actually.
    I really love rereading the books and I hope one day I can read them to my children if I ever have any ;)
    Patti Shifting Tales

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interestingly, I still havent read Harry Potter.

    Thanks for your recommendation!

    Following you on G+! Follow back :)

    https://www.facebook.com/missaggiekwong/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the harry potter films, I started reading the books last month and I love them x

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Please check out my latest lookbook challenge.

    Kisses xo | From Aliona With Love

    Instagram alionawithlove

    Twitter alionawithlove

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone always raves about these x
    Happy beginning of May dear, wishing you a lovely new month!

    Stefanie | Casualllyawkward | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bloody love Harry Potter - I know what you mean, reading the books again after seeing the movies x
    britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete