Saturday, December 5, 2015

Small Business Saturday | #BLOGMAS Day 5

Hi, Just a quick post today to tell you about Small Business Saturday. A promotional event which falls on the first Saturday of December and started back in 2013. I first became aware of this campaign last year at a craft market, it's a way for small businesses to work together to get noticed and to get us the consumer to shop locally.

More and more people are starting up small business on the side and December is a great opportunity to gain sales with the run up to Christmas. If you're not heading out you could always look online at sites like Etsy and Not on The High Street.

Some bloggers I know of who have small businesses are:
Jemma from Dorkface she does really cool illustrations of pretty much anything.
Hayley from Water Painted Dreams who creates crochet goodies including the cutest elephants.
Jessica from Heart Shaped Bones an illustrator of the weird and wonderful.

I'm in York today with a group of friends to check out the markets and do a bit of Christmas shopping. I'm going to be making a special effort to go in all the independent shops that York is so well known for. Hopefully I can pick up some original pieces as gifts for the people I have left to buy for. Have a lovely weekend, if you support a small business you can tweet about it using #SmallBizSatUK.

Will you be supporting any small businesses today?
Sam

Want to see more posts follow on 

4 comments:

  1. Ah, I love supporting local businesses! For me there is more opportunity to go local with food and restaurants, but, given the opportunity, I could spend hours in small locally owned shops! That said, my town is also quite good to organise craft fairs and famers markets so there are tons of opportunities to look around at the talent around you and to support it!

    Have a great time shopping!

    Erin
    http://sexycardi.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craft fairs and farmers markets are always fun to look round there's always something different to buy. We tried out a little locally run cafe which sold Bhaji burgers (My friend's Vegan) the staff where super friendly and the food was amazing. =^-^=

      Delete
  2. This is such a great idea, it's always so wonderful to support small business and I quite like finding out about them too as they can do the nicest, cutest stuff! Ooh York is so great for the local shops, I go to the uni there and there's so many lovely things. There's a few cute shops down Mickelgate, like Grey Bear. Also I can recommend the York Soap Company for great Christmas gifts and Bruks (I did a post on it here; http://josievictoriaa.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/a-few-little-places.html) which is a lovely local cafe!

    JosieVictoriaa // josievictoriaa.blogspot.co.uk // Lifestlye, Travel and Fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great way for small businesses to promote themselves and I'm sure it will grow in popularity over the years. Thank you for the recommendation, I'm always in York so I'll be sure to have a look. =^-^=

      Delete